Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Shabo Crew Sings - It Is Love


The saxophone starts the record, then a symphony of other instruments, a rhythmic danceable tune is heard, then comes the lead singer with his powerful definite professing of his want for his love and then the nodding and mild movement of parts of the body which cannot be hidden from this moment on.

Musically, I fall in and in of love so much that I think I am most probably the world’s best flirt when it comes to music. Hi life, that is my main love. But any other genre that gives a soothing relaxation and especially one that all the words can be heard is my kind of music as well.

My new love, “Eye Odo”, which literally translates as “It Is Love” is the very first single by the Shabo Crew. This band has been in existence for a little over four years and have backed and shared stages with as many Ghanaian acts who have done live performances as possible. They were also the resident band of the Stars Of The Future reality show seasons one to four. Am stating all these so that, well, maybe you remember a number of beautiful well orchestrated live performances but as it happens a lot of the time, the band that provided the groove is sort of forgotten as soon as the gig is over. The front liners take all the credit most of the time.

Eye Odo tells of how a man, undeniably the lead singer wants to love his partner. He so wants her to be a part of his life. It seems he has been pestering the woman who has apparently not accepted him yet. Their meeting was by chance, in a club. With all the vibes in the world, it is as if he is re-emphasizing the love he will show this woman once she accepts to be a part of his life. This man is smitten. He is in love. Oh love is a beautiful thing, obviously. He cannot do without this woman. Some say partners are necessary devils. I say get the right one and that will be your necessary blessing!

“Baby I can make you change your mind to love me like you do others, cos I cant live without love, your love is my life come give it to me baby, it is love. . .I wanna know you, I wanna love you, show you respect yeah, I need your loving, show me your loving, open your heart girl. . .” Lines of some of the lyrics in the record. Now who is thinking love is sour?

With well composed lyrics, good story telling and a generally good flow, this record is enough to push the Shabo Crew into the minds of people as not just a good band, but good composers as well. The beat is danceable, so much that I bet anyone who hears this will inevitably find themselves moving slightly to it. It has this punch I cannot pin point. The kind of punch that makes your brain recollect and keep singing a line or two in retrospect.

The lyrics and beat composition was done by the members of the Shabo Crew with inputs from each person. The sax begins, goes off at some points, comes in again at points when it will surely catch your attention and later signs off the record.

You can contact the Shabo Crew via tacogroove@yahoo.com or on 0264461955. They do play for private functions as well. For now, however, love rules. It Is Love!!!

Eye Odo can be downloaded via
http://limelinx.com/files/4c804b1bfa0a8434f76a398347619c61

No comments:

Post a Comment